Monday, October 13, 2008

Strawberry Pie

Round two of my attempts to become the Piemaker consisted of a delectable strawberry pie. The only major problem I encountered was when I baked the empty pie crust. For some reason, the crust kind of collapsed or shrunk. The nice lip I had created along the edge of the pie pan ended up half way down the side of the pie pan wall when all was said and done. My esteemed roommate believes this is due to not punching holes in the bottom of the crust which resulted in the bubble of air that formed which consequently pulled the crust down and away from the top edge of the pie pan. I tend to agree with him. I will try out this theory with the next pie crust I bake.

Another little change I would like to make involves the placement of the strawberries and the strawberry filling. The recipe stated that the fresh strawberries should be place in the crust and the filling should be poured on top. In the future I would like to place 1/3 to 1/2 of the strawberries in the crust, add the filling, and then strategically place the remaining  strawberries over the top of the filling. I think it will be much more appealing to the eye.

Finally, I think I might need to pick up a mixer of some sort so that I can make real whipped cream. Reddi-Whip from the can is ok but it pales in comparison to the real thing. 

In keeping with tradition (assuming that one previous blog post equates tradition), I give this effort a B- for
 aesthetics, an A+ for flavor, and an overall grade of this pie tastes so good I want to make little pie babies with it. And for the record, Carl has dibs on the little pie babies.

4 comments:

Carl Hardie said...

Wow, that pie looks so good I bet you had your first "pie-gasm" while eating it. I would probably just take it back to my place and just fool around with it a little bit...you know take it slow. (Barney 3:16)

Oh, and just for the record, HIMYM is exponentially funnier when you live in NY.

Anonymous said...

Yes, poke holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork. But to avoid the sides sliding down, place dried beans (pinto, navy, etc) around the sides - sort of like a retaining wall- during the baking process. Or purchase a special double pie pan designed for baking empty pie shells. The dough is placed in the bottom pan, the second, slightly smaller pan (with air holes) is placed over the dough for the baking process.
courtesy of 'The Pie Queen'
P.S. If you want the PQ's Never Fail Pie Crust (from scratch) it is available by emailing callan@paulbunyan.net

Aunna and Phillip said...

Morg, I very much enjoy your blog posts and I too enjoy making pies and I love Pushing Daisies too

Amanda said...

Okay, so I watched like 5 minutes of pushing daisys and didn't get it. I don't know.... but I have to give you huge kudos for baking pies from scratch, pie crust scares me so I never make them. Maybe I will try, I figure if you can do it I can too, right???? I miss you, come visit soon. We are here for t day and you can bake me a pie with home made apple pie filling!