Monday, November 24, 2008

Newsflash

Newsflash. Jean Claude Van Damme can act. For real. So you're skeptical. I understand. I was too. But then I saw JCVD. It was great. And the great JCVD himself has a few scenes that are quite moving. And I don't mean moving in the watch me kick this cigarette out of some dude's mouth way, but moving in the wow, I might just tear up a little as I watch JCVD bare his soul way. It was seriously a great movie. 

Before I had seen it, one of my friends made the bold statement that it was Van Damme's best movie ever. I, being the skeptic that I am, was a bit incredulous and immediately said "Better than Bloodsport?" He replied "Better than Bloodsport." I was still not a believer. But now I have been fully converted. It is better than Bloodsport. Much better than Bloodsport even though Bloodsport will always hold a special place in my heart.

My only complaint about JCVD is that the subtitles were sometimes hard to read because they blended in with the lighting of the scenes. Other than that, the movie was great. I know it is only in limited release, but if it is available near you, check it out. You will love it. I promise. 

Oh yeah, Slumdog Millionaire is pretty amazing as well. Be sure not to miss that one. Spoiler alert, Danny Boyle does not make the traditional Danny Boyle move of driving the train off the tracks in the third act. Slumdog Millionaire is excellent from start to finish. I wouldn't be shocked if it wins best picture this year.

No comments: