Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Potent Potables

Two quick things. The first of which is a follow-up to yesterday's hilarious Obama speech/Kanye stunt mash-up courtesy of my friend Keith:


Too soon? I vote no because it is just too funny and too timely. Like I said, I really love the internet.

The second point I would like to address is a little anecdote from my friend Broek. This last weekend while in the NYC she was walking with a friend through the meatpacking district and made a few jokes about bumping into Scott Schuman. Next thing you know, they actually do bump into Scott Schuman and Garance Dore. "In the wild." Pretty cool huh. The story goes that both Scott Schuman and Garance Dore were quite affable. However, what stood out the most was the contrast between their physical appearance and what they look like in photographs. Broek said that Scott Schuman was much shorter than expected. He also looked much stockier than he does in his photographs. The conclusion was that he really knows how to position himself for the most flattering photos. The word on the street regarding Garance Dore is that she is even more beautiful in person than she is in her photographs.

When I first heard the story it made me a little sad to hear that Scott Schuman was not 6 feetish and slender like I had imagined. Kind of like hearing that The National suck live. But after thinking about it a little more I kind of like that he is more of a regular guy with "flaws" just like me. Hearing that Garance Dore was even better looking in person just made me like her even more.

What makes this story even better for me was that I had just read the post on Garance Dore's blog from Monday where she posted the photo that Scott Schuman took of her taking a picture of another woman who was in turn taking a picture of her. I wonder how the timing worked out of when this picture was taken to when Broek bumped in to them.


So yeah celebrities! They're just like us! Or something like that. But really, in all honesty, and with complete earnestness. Check out the blogs for both these photographers. Two of my favorites by far. And Scott Schuman's new book is the bomb diggity. I can't stop paging through it.

1 comment:

English said...

Oh man that picture is great.

It's like an MC Escher painting for the '00's. if you looked at all 3 of those photos you'd fall through an eternal loop of internet fashion icons.

I'm not so into Garance. Give me Giovanna and we'll double.

For the record: The National are incredible live. Seeing them in person is what changed my whole impression of 'em.