Monday, March 8, 2010

Academy Awards.... Bleh.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker. I thought the individual bomb diffusing scenes were very well done. I really enjoyed Jeremy Renner's performance. However, never once did I say to myself while watching- Self, this movie is pretty amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was nominated for Best Picture. So needless to say, I was surprised when it was nominated for Best Picture this year. I was even more surprised when it actually won.

Like I said before, I really enjoyed The Hurt Locker. However, this "victory" is just one more example of why I don't like the Academy Awards. I don't like how so many people's careers are made and broken by the political fancies and whims of people who may or may not have watched the films they are voting on. Nikki Finke summed up my feelings perfectly when she said the following:

So David slew Goliath. Or, to put it another way, Academy voters rewarded a tiny film that made no money just because almost everyone in Hollywood really dislikes James Cameron. This shows how out of touch the Oscars are with moviegoers around the world, who loved Avatar. But what can you expect from a bunch of mostly geriatrics who decide on the Best Picture by watching them on small screens instead of in the movie theater. Most of the 5,000+ voters only saw Avatar in 2D. So, of course, The Hurt Locker played better. And people wonder why I have nothing but contempt for the Academy?

Oh, and remember that the Academy wouldn't even let Nicolas Chartier who financed Hurt Locker (or his mother who flew in from France) attend the show tonight because he mass-emailed members and supposedly broke the campaigning rules -- even though he never even mentioned Avatar by name. That guy has to celebrate at a private party in Malibu tonight away from all the Industry accolades he so richly deserves. And people still wonder why I have nothing but contempt for the Academy?

5 comments:

Tannertrue said...

I disagree. But for the sake of argument. What should have won?

Avatar was basically a videogame that, while visually engaging, was about as shallow as the loogie I hawked after seeing it. I would have been stoked if Up or District 9 would have won. But, I knew they had NO chance in HELL of winning.

I was prepping myself for disappointment for when Avatar would win an undeserved best picture.(see my blog) But, the academy went and surprised me by picking the better movie.

So, yeah, I'm glad the second best movie I've seen all year won for best picture since those facists at the academy would never nominate Drag Me To Hell.

English said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
English said...

I'm with you on a few points, but I was thrilled that The Hurt Locker won.
I was really impressed with that film on a number of levels, primarily the real experience it created. In that respect I think it really competes with a film like Avatar (do people only hate him because he's laughing all the way to the bank all the time?).

Now, in even mentioning Avatar do I betray why I too am a little jaded about the oscars. The hype, the politics, the inexplicable, often offensive choices (Sandra Bollock? You want me to take that seriously?), but relatively (and maybe that's not good enough) I thought it was the best oscars in a long while.

Steve and Alec were funny and not annoying. The stage looked really nice. I thought the dance presentation of the musical nominees was incredibly beautiful (probably the highlight of the show), and for the most part everyone that should have won, did.

Up deserved the animation award (Fantastic was fantastic, but I'm a realist), it certainly deserved the musical award.

Avatar got its due tech awards, Jeff Bridges earned his award years ago (go rent Starman, hella underated), even J.J. and Quinton got high fives. Little to complain about.

I will share upset with Tanner that they had a horror showcase without a single Raimi film clip. Drag Me To Hell is not only the best horror movie in years, it was one of the most excellent, well constructed, fun movies of this year.

I’m not convinced by Finke's (dangerously close to Funke) vehemence either. I guess mainly cuz its fanning that same sorta boring need for conflict. "David slew Goliath", "Hollywood really dislikes James Cameron"

I went to a few Academy screenings this year and their state-of-the-art theater was packed, full with young and old members. We see screeners in peoples homes, but I don't know that's the way the majority of films are seen. And I mean just that, "I don't know." I figure if you're a member of the academy, you're probably pretty into movies, and movie people are usually the biggest proponents for going to the movies. Even if not, they're probably the ones with ridiculous home theaters.

Too much defense about things I don't feel that strongly about. Maybe I'm a little embarrassed. Its like when I recently watched 2012 thinking it was going to be stupid and it was a little bit great and way better than expected. Or when, still wanting to hate him, I watched the featurette Roland Emmerich: Master of the Modern Epic, and found him laid back, self aware and really good at making CG disaster movies. I was left only able to hate that title.

Morgan said...

Really good comments. I will construct a follow up post addressing some of the points in the next couple of days. I don't have the time right now seeing as I am (get ready for the self aggrandizing drop of info to show everybody how cool I am) in Berlin for work right now and am more than a little swamped. Don't worry though I will be back with some further opinion.

boxpilot said...

BERLIN! i love that place.