Friday, October 26, 2007

Facecrook?

Facebook? More like Facecrook. $15 BILLION? Really? I can't see somebody really offering to buy Facebook for $15 BILLION. So, is Facebook really worth $15 BILLION? That is BILLION with a B.

This whole transaction fascinates me. It has been the topic du jour with my co-workers over the last couple of days. It is funny how history repeats. Hopefully some lessons were learned from the dot com boom and subsequent bust of the late nineties.

I want to clarify that I am not against this transaction for Microsoft and I am definitely not anti-Facebook. The publicity of "Beating Google" alone makes it worthwhile. My trepidation surrounds the valuation. Without seeing the actual models used, I can't jump to many conclusions. I just find it hard to buy into a value of $15 Billion for a company with an unproven as of now method of converting captive audiences into dollars. I can't wait to see how this story plays out. I am really hooked.

PS I am really interested in what Zuckerman's exit strategy is. From what I gather, this deal with Microsoft makes going public much more difficult. How are all the VC guys going to get their ROI? Seriously, I am fascinated by this.

No comments: