Monday, October 8, 2007

I Heart my DVR

Thanks to the return of many of my favorite TV shows over the last couple of weeks, as well as the pilots for this years slate of new shows, my DVR has been filling up faster then I can delete shows after viewing. I am pretty much in heaven. I love waking up on a Saturday morning knowing that I can kill the next couple of hours catching up on all the shows I missed during the week.

The slate of new shows for the 2007/2008 season have been pretty strong so far. Here is a quick rundown of what I have liked and disliked so far:

The Big Bang Theory - I am not completely hooked yet but the second episode was better than the pilot. I enjoy the premise and the lead actor is very likable. It might help that he wears the same glasses as I do. I also love the supporting group of friends. They are such extreme caricatures that it cracks me up.

Chuck - I love how ridiculously absurd the premise of the show is. I also love how the show seems to realize this and just has fun with it. It doesn't feel like they are taking themselves too seriously. The actor they chose for Chuck is perfect. Very endearing and easy to root for. I also love his sidekick buddy who just happens to be named Morgan. His comedic timing is perfect. It also doesn't hurt that Chuck's sister and also is love interest (they are two separate people perverts) are hot. All in all this show is very fun. Very enjoyable.

Cane - Just plain lame. I don't want to even wast time talking about it. I didn't even make it through the pilot.

Life - This show has a lot of potential. I was lukewarm after the pilot but the second episode was fantastic. The episodes are solid enough to stand alone yet there is a underlying story arc to reward the faithful viewers and keep you coming back for more. The cinematography and lighting are also top notch. I am really starting to like this one.

Moonlight - Vampires just don't really do it for me. Plus the female lead really bugs me. Also, the effects are cheesy and the attempt to create a film noir feel fall short. I have the second episode recorded but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I may never get around to watching it.

Journeyman - I missed the pilot because it got deleted by new content before I could get to it. I did see the second episode however which was fantastic. The acting was very solid. The story seemed very tight and the episode I watched had a very heart warming story of redemption and forgiveness. I also enjoy the underlying element of mystery that will reward the viewers for staying with the show. I was surprisingly impressed by this show.

Reaper - I enjoyed the pilot but not so much that I was anxiously awaiting the next episode. I still haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I can already feel this one slipping off my list. Not because I dislike it but just because I don't like it enough to make time for it.

Pushing Daisies - I watched the pilot this weekend and LOVED it. It is definitely my favorite new show of the season. I love the premise and the execution of said premise. I love the quasi-fantasy world that as been created and I love the characters. The colors of the show are simply amazing and really add to the overall feel of the show. It has a real Tim Burton feel to it that really appeals to me. My favorite part of the show though was the emotions around the lead resurrecting his "true-love" and now being forced to distance himself from her because if he touches her again she returns to being dead. The execution of this plot point was perfect and will hopefully continue to add to the drama.

If there is one new show that you are going to add to your list, then Pushing Daisies is it. I can't emphasize how much I loved it. Seriously, add it to your DVR. You won't regret it

3 comments:

Dallas (司馬光) said...

Hi Morgan. This is Dallas, your old roommate from the Square. I was talking with Craig Ainge a few days ago, and he mentioned you. So I checked your blog out. Hope all is well. Also, I agree about Journeyman. very good show. You can also watch the pilot on NBC.com. Later.

Dallas
dstahle@gmail.com

k8 said...

i loooved pushing daisies. hope it stays awesome.

Ems said...

hi morgan, I might love you(r tv shows).