Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Lost Theory

Here is my rough and dirty (south) theory on how this season of Lost will end and what next season will be about:

I think that Daniel has successfully agitated enough of the variables - Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Miles, etc. - so that one of them will do something that will "successfully" alter the future. Actually, maybe it will be Desmond that is the "successful" variable. This would coincide with the idea that Desmond is the exception to the rule of what happened, happened. I think that the alteration to the future will be somewhat minor due to course corrections over time and will not necessarily result in an improved future. I think that the final season will begin with Oceanic 815 crashing on the Island but with certain details modified due to the change in the timeline effected by Daniel and the other variables in 1977. The final season will mirror the first season completing the chiasmus of the series.

Hopefully the slight changes in the timeline will be enough for Jack, Locke, Kate, Sayid, etc. to overcome and make peace with the demons of their past and ultimately find the happiness and meaning they have been searching for. I hope the series does not end in tragedy. That is the sentimental side of me poking through I guess. I want these characters to succeed because I care so much about them. Creepy? It would only be creepy if I thought they were real. I know they are fictional characters yet I still have an emotional investment in them and the story. To that I say mission accomplished Lindeloff, Cuse, and Abrams. Mission accomplished.

No comments: