Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Heart Alaska Airlines


Last Christmas I flew to Kennewick Washington via Seattle Washington on Alaska Airlines. I remember actually enjoying my flight but I couldn't remember why. Based on these hazy but positive memories of the experience, I booked my flight to Seattle last night on Alaska Airlines. Now I remember why I heart Alaska Airlines.

I walked into the terminal at LAX last night and was immediately struck by the abundance of self-check-in terminals and lack of lines. I had my boarding pass printed less than 2 minutes after walking into the terminal. It was great. I then proceeded to the security checkpoint where there was absolutely no lines. In under 5 minutes I was through the metal detector and had my shoes back on and was happily walking towards my departure gate. Once I got to the gate, there was plenty of seating and the acoustics were such that I could easily understand anything being announced over the PA. Just like the NBA, it was FAAAAN-tastic.

Once I boarded the plane and plopped down in my comfy seat with more then adequate leg room I glanced out the window and saw the plane next to us and was reminded of how cool the Alaska Airlines Eskimo logo looks on the tail of the standard white plane. I am a sucker for good design and this just added more fuel to my Alaska Airlines fire. But wait. It gets even better.

After reaching our cruising altitude, the surprisingly attractive flight attendants began to make the customary distribution of in-flight beverages. I asked for Diet Coke and I was given an entire can. Yes, you read that right. I was given the entire can and didn't even need to beg for it. How nice is that? But wait, it gets even better.

About a half hour after enjoying my Diet Coke a strangely aromatic scent came drifting through the darkened cabin. It was unlike any other smell I had ever experienced on an airplane. I was so disoriented I couldn't quite place the smell. But then it hit me. Molasses cookies. I love molasses cookies. And guess what, they were piping hot molasses cookies sent straight from heaven. When have you ever had warm cookies on an airplane? I never have. And now I am completely and utterly smitten with Alaska Airlines. They are the best and it is because of the small things. Blink 182 had it right all along.


PS The flight was only $99 each way with only like 4 days advance purchase. Even better right?

No comments: