Monday, September 17, 2007

I Heart The Office or My Night at the Emmys

Where to begin? Last night was the telecast for the Primetime Emmys. Finally. The show itself was pretty uneventful except for when the standards and practices (who were by far the nicest people in the production trailer) started freaking out when Brad Garrett went off script during his presentation bit and started talking about the boobs of his co-presenter. The word nipple may or may not have been said. Other than that the only other real highlights of the broadcast were the Rainn Wilson/Kanye West bit that worked surprisingly well and the impromptu on-stage celebration with Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, and Steve Carell due to the absence of Ricky Gervais when the award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy was presented.

So after standing in a cramped production trailer for 4 hours, I was starving and ready for the Governor's Ball. The food was nothing special but the decor was pretty solid. Tony Bennett sang a few songs which I was originally looking forward to but I ended up being distracted by the cast of The Office. The cast of Heroes was at the next table over but I was way more interested in The Office.

I have quite a few stories that I am giggling about right now as I remember hovering near their table waiting for an opportunity to speak with them. We took a few pictures as well so I will try to fit the stories to the pictures.

When we initially were listening to Tony Bennett perform, Kate and her husband walked by and bumped into us. She apologized and continued on her way. We then went back to our table for the main course which we quickly finished and returned to "stalk" the cast of The Office. While we were waiting to talk with Stanley (aka Leslie David Baker) at the bar, Kate and her husband walked by again and her husband apologized when they squeezed by. I couldn't contain my laughter because I was the one who should be apologizing for "stalking" his wife and friends.

Finally we had the opportunity to approach Phyllis, who was fantastic. She was so friendly and seemed genuinely happy to speak with us.

After taking this picture with us she immediately said "There is Stanley. You have to take a picture with him as well." How could I resist?


Stanley was also super friendly and hilarious. He kept saying "Don't be shy" in this booming voice that cracked me up. I couldn't stop giggling. While we took a few photos, he put is arm around me and kept rubbing my back. Which of course really made me giggle. He thought it was so hilarious that he told Kirsten that he was rubbing my back and that it was making me giggle. Definitely the highlight of the night for me. This may be the best picture of of me ever:

After wrapping up with the cast of The Office we also bumped into.... wait for it..... Kenneth The Page.

We congratulated him on being an integral part of winning the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series and Kirsten totally came through in the clutch when I froze and made a relevant joke that we were two of the 12 people that watch the show. Well played Kirsten. Well played.
As an addendum to this story, earlier in the night Tina Fey almost impaled me with the Emmy statue when she crashed into me. I was totally smitten and stumbled out a few congratulatory remarks and continued on my way. Later in the evening we saw her as she was leaving and it looked like she had a very good time celebrating. She was really struggling with maintaining her balance. It must have been the heels she was wearing.
One more little story is that Paulie Walnuts used the urinal right next to me and didn't leave a buffer when the bathroom was not at capacity.
I also have a great story about Rainn Wilson aka Dwight Schrute which I will reserve for telling in person to protect the names of the innocent. The blag is probably a little too public of a forum.
And finally, here is my favorite picture of the night:



It cracks me up every time I look at it and it totally captures the friendliness and personality of Phyllis. I heart Phyllis.


PS I have a few other great stories about Alec Baldwin, William H. Macy, Julia Louis Dreyfus, and Tom Selleck that I wouldn't mind sharing as well. They aren't quite as funny though. More observations really but still enjoyable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heart Stanley

Anonymous said...

I can't think of celebs I'd rather meet! I'm jealous!

We enjoyed your pictures so much, we posted them on our blog:

http://inrareform.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/celebrities-in-our-midst/

Thanks for the scoop!

matt said...

Shouldn't you be wearing a bowtie?

Broek said...

http://www.theonion.com/content/columnists/im_still_dazzled_by_the_2007

That sums it up nicely.