Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Writers, Plumbers, and Me

Luckily for me, I am yet to feel the direct impact of the WGA strike at work. However, the strike is always there just on the edge of my peripheral vision and every once in a while it pops into full view. Yesterday was one of those occasions.

I was in a meeting with an old school studio executive and when I say old school, he really is old school. Like I hopped into a time machine back to when Disney was producing the animated Peter Pan old school. Definitely one of the most interesting meetings I have ever attended. But I digress. So we were in the meeting and working through the agenda and deciding whether or not to entertain offers to option one of our titles for a remake when the conversation took a quick pit-stop (one of many by the way) so that the exec could express his frustration with the strike:

"I gladly pay the plumber each time he fixes my toilet. But I sure as hell don't pay him every time I flush my toilet."

A humorous comparison for sure but not without merit and underlying wisdom. It will be interesting to see how the strike is finally resolved. Especially when so many egos are involved on both sides of the picket line.

2 comments:

Renegade of Funk said...

I wish I got a dime every time an F-22 breaks the sound barrier.

boxpilot said...

i wish i got a dime every time i wanted a dime.