Friday, February 9, 2007

I get Lost in my mind


I was discussing the return of Lost this week with my friend Mr. Hardie this morning and he mentioned that he was not very happy with the way the season has progressed so far. He felt that it was moving too slow. This seems to be a common complaint over the last year or so from many different people I have come in contact with regarding Lost. They all love the show but are bothered that they don't get the answers they want right now.


As a result of the conversation, I have spent the last couple of hours thinking about Lost and why I think it is the Best. Show. Ever. I think what it comes down to for me is that I love the character development and pacing of the show. I love how details matter and through the details of the past we can see how Jack or Kate or Sawyer have become who they are today. I love how I can watch an hour long episode and not once feel like I am being rushed.


I have a habit of rushing through every other aspect of my life. I am always looking forward to the next phase of my career or the next personal goal, etc. Rarely do I take the time to step back and examine the series of events that have shaped who I am and taken me to where I am. Watching Lost helps me to remember the importance of doing this. It reminds me of the importance of enjoying the journey of my life. As I write this I am thinking to myself that that last sentence just sounded so cliche and lame. Life is a journey blah blah blah (or Bob Loblaw's Law Blog). But it really is true and Lost helps me remember that.


So that is why I like Lost so much. Not only is it interesting to watch, but it speaks to me on a different, more emotional level. That is why I will continue to enjoy each episode and not worry about getting all the answers right now. I want to enjoy the story for what it is and see where it takes me. I want to be reminded that I need to do that with my life as well. I want to escape from the everyday rush.
PS I also really like the idea of the island and tabula rasa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Millions of people must agree with me since the much anticipated new episodes of Lost ranked 14th in shows watched last week. (Yawn) I tivo'd it but have not even bothered to watch it yet. I still love the show, but I wish it progressed at a pace comarable to the first two seasons. I would have thought an impulse buyer like Morgan would feel the same way.

PS I love you Kate