Friday, December 21, 2007

Holiday Party

So last night was my first Holiday Party with my relatively new employer. Based on previous Holiday Parties with former employers, I was not really looking forward to this year's installment. However, I ended up being pleasantly surprised. My current employer is significantly smaller than the previous and the party was significantly better. I think there must be a correlation here. Maybe even a causation? Because we all know correlation proves causation.

The party was held at this cool little restaurant/bar in West Hollywood called The Spanish Kitchen. The decoration and layout of the venue were fantastic. I loved the combination of Spanish tile, dark wood floors, and wood beams on the ceilings. Plus the lighting was perfect. It was a nice soft glow that wasn't too dark nor too bright. Really just the perfect setting for a party. I also loved the bathroom. The sink fixture was really cool. I am trying to think how to best describe it but am at a loss for words. It had this kind of long curved neck with these great vintage looking knobs. I wish my camera wasn't broken so I could have taken a picture.

The food was also quite solid. It made me want to come back and try the regular menu which is a pretty big compliment from me considering that I usually am not a fan of catered meals because of the steep decline in quality often associated with quantity. My favorite dishes of the night were the paella and the white bean bruschetta. I love a good bruschetta and this one was fantastic.

In addition to the great atmosphere and food, the party was also graced by a few of the dorks from Sydney White as well as Garrett Hedlund. Kevin from The Office was also there with his trademark dopey grin. I couldn't help but giggle when he first walked in. I was also able to briefly discuss The Replacement Killers and Training Day with Antoine Fuqua who was quite affable. I really wanted to ask him about American Gangster but didn't think that would be too polite so I refrained.

The highlight of the night though was after wrapping up a conversation with Guy McElwaine, who you may recognize as the former agent of the great Frank Sinatra (and yes he was wearing the Sinatra family ring), I turn around and literally bump into Nitro. Yes THE Nitro of American Gladiators fame. And yes, he is starting to go bald and is approximately 2/3 the size of his former self but still pretty cut up. It was simply breath taking to be in the presence of such an icon from my youth. Totally worth the 45 minute drive to West Hollywood and the horrible wait at the valet station with the howling winds and Arctic temperatures because they can't find my car for some reason. Totally worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can think of no finer way to spend the holidays than with Nitro. He will always be one of my favorite young hero's