Monday, December 17, 2007

More Fun With Burgers

As of today, the best burger I have eaten is the burger from Father's Office. I have received much criticism from people who are not fans of the blue cheese, the difficulty in finding a table, and the fact that nothing can be added or removed from the burger. However, I stand by my convictions and proudly proclaim Father's Office to be the best. The well deserved #1 ranking was solidified on Saturday when I was able to sample the burger at the Chateau Marmont.

I must say that I did enjoy the Chateau Marmont offering but it was just not quite as good as Father's Office. I would put it on par with The Counter. The patty was of high quality beef. The bun was quite tasty. However, there was nothing that really made it stand out from any other quality burger. It was good and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. However, there was nothing memorable about the burger itself.

The most memorable part of the experience was dining in the secluded courtyard. It was a beautiful December afternoon. The sun was shining. The wicker table and chairs were very comfortable. It wasn't loud and crowded. It was just a great place to enjoy a Saturday afternoon meal. I do wish we had been seated one table away from where we were so we could have been in the sun as opposed to the shade. I started to get a little cold by the end of the meal.

The sides were also quite solid but nothing spectacular. The french fries were properly cooked and nice and thin but were not as good as the sweet potato fries from Father's Office. I chose the fruit option instead of the fries and I was quite pleased. The fruit was fresh and the presentation was great. The apples were the definitely the hi-light.

While the burger and sides were very good, I saved the best part of the meal for last. We started the lunch off with an order of calamari which was some of the best calamari I have eaten to date. It was lightly breaded to perfection, not to rubbery nor to mushy, and the sauces were fantastic. There was a salsa and a tartar / mayonnaise type cream that was delicious. When the two sauces were combined it was like a party in my mouth. Simply put, it was the perfect way to kick off the meal.

Just to recap, the burger at the Chateau Marmont is quite good but not as good as the gold standard of Father's Office. The sides are quite solid. The calamari is divine. And the ambiance is excellent. I wouldn't make a special trip to Hollywood just to get a burger at the Chateau Marmont. However, if I was in the area and in the mood for a good meal with great atmosphere I would definitely put the Chateau towards the top of my list.

3 comments:

JerzyGrl said...

We're going to Sundance tonight for dinner and their burgers are AMAZING.

Dubious Brown said...

I finally went to Father's Office right before making my grand exit from LA and it was, as promised, fantastic despite the logistical issues. Foundry Grill at Sundance is still the best burger on earth. Applewood and Cherrywood grilled with slices of marinated portobello. It also happens to be among the most expensive burgers, but well worth it.

matt said...

Intro, Thesis, Body, Summarizing Conclusion. Written like a great "theme" paper.

(with a compass and a watch a thing which tells time)