Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama and Wright

As I have mentioned before, I really do not enjoy politics. I don't enjoy "discussing" them. I don't enjoy watching "news" channels that "discuss" them. And it really chaps my action when regularly scheduled programming is preempted for election coverage. However, for some inexplicable reason I feel the need to write something about the Obama/Wright issue.

I must preface my remarks by saying that I have never been a huge Obama supporter. I have been skeptical of his qualifications/experience and have been turned off by the hype surrounding his speaking skills. It really bothers me when people support him as a Presidential candidate and when asked why they support him they cite his public speaking skills. That seems very short sighted in my opinion. I agree that he is a very talented public speaker but his speeches don't really resonate with me because it doesn't seem like there is much substance nor reality behind his rhetoric. But I digress. The purpose of this post is for me to work through my thoughts regarding Obama's association with Wright.

When I first heard about some of the comments that Wright had made I didn't give them much credence. I figured it was the media looking to create drama and improve ratings/sales/hits. I assumed that the comments were probably taken out of context or something along those lines and therefore didn't really pay much attention. However, this morning while driving to work, the radio station I was listening to played 3 or 4 clips from "sermons" or speeches that Wright had made. By the time the segment was over I had a horrible almost nauseous feeling hanging over me. (I almost said in my loins because I think the word loins is funny but that would have detracted from the tone that I was shooting for with this post). I was shocked by how much anger and hate was emanating from Wright's voice. It sounded like I was listening to a "sermon" or speech from some crazed KKK type religious "leader" from the 40's or 50's. How weird is that? It seemed so hypocritical to me. I tried to picture myself going to church and listening to something like that and was at a complete loss. How do sermons of that sort help me to draw closer to God? How do sermons like that agree with the principles found in the teachings of Christ? "God damn America" is found in the Bible?

So how does this relate to Obama? I don't think that Obama agrees with much of what Wright has said. I can't comprehend a reasonable and educated person such as Obama appears to be agreeing with such ridiculous and hateful comments. However, I am very concerned when a reasonable and educated person such as Obama chooses this man to be his spiritual adviser. Especially when his campaign seems to be founded on change and unification. How are such comments unifying? How does any good come from that? It makes me question whether or not Obama actually agrees with Wright. A close association of 20 years, marriage ceremonies, and baptisms really makes me wonder.

Bleh. I hate politics. I hate how cynical they make me. I hate how they make me start to question the religious beliefs of what appears to be an honorable and good man. Especially when the questioning of said beliefs stems from the not so religious rantings of a "religious leader." When it comes down to it, what confuses/bothers me the most is how "religious leaders" such as Wright have congregations. What is spiritual in those sermons? Really, how does that help people draw nearer to God? Is that not the purpose of going to church?

2 comments:

lybberty said...

Very thoughtful post. I appreciate the perspective--apolitical--you bring to the situation. I won't ask you to write more about politics, because I know you hate it, but I will say this: it is important for opinions like yours to be heard because it shines one more beam of light on the topic and helps us all understand it better.

Broek said...

yes, then again, being the peculiar people we are, I have sat through some meeting and sermons from stake presidents that have made me feel a little uncomfortable, not necessarily the same type of uncomfortable, but things I thought "Oh man, I don't think I can agree with this."

But interesting considering the flack mormons get.