Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Wire Concludes

I'm not really sure where I am going with this post. It is kind of a hodgepodge of thoughts bouncing around in my head right now. Thoughts whose only connection is The Wire. Sadly, one of the best TV dramas of all time comes to a conclusion this Sunday. And I have a feeling that it is going to be a rather depressing finale. Which in the scheme of the show is fitting. What will absolutely destroy me though is if Bubbles, the one character who seems to have found some sort of redemption relapses in the finale. I think his story may be concluded but you never know. If they do that to me I will probably cry. I don't really want to get wrapped up in an analysis of the final season, previous seasons, nor different characters. I just want to say that my two favorite characters were Bubbles and Omar. It appears that both of their story arcs have come to a conclusion. At least I hope they have.

If you haven't watched The Wire then you are totally missing out. I rank it as my second favorite TV drama of all time. A couple of my friends - John and T-Bone- rank it as their favorite. And I can totally respect that. Seriously, take the time to watch it. You won't regret it. A little warning though, it is pretty gritty and often painful to watch. Especially this final season. But that is what makes it so good. Watching it makes me feel.

So I was pretty disappointed when I clicked on the On-Demand for the series finale which is scheduled to air this coming Sunday only to be treated to a funny little clip of Clay Davis (I really hate Clay Davis) informing me that I would have to wait until Sunday to see the conclusion. The tactic totally worked though because it increased my anticipation. That old playing hard to get thing still works with me sometimes I guess.

One last thing, The Sports Douche did an interview with Jason Whitlock (aka Big Sexy) for his podcast series yesterday where they discuss The Wire. If you are a fan of the show, this is a pretty decent interview to listen to. I have always been a fan of the Big Sexy, especially when he was critical of the way Notre Dame dealt with Ty Willingham. However, I lost a little respect for him when in the podcast he declared the best fast food burger to be from Wendy's. Come on Big Sexy, everybody knows the best fast food burger is from In and Out. I will forgive him for his misstep though because he may have never been west of the Rockies and therefore never tasted the goodness that is In and Out. But getting back to the podcast, it is available on iTunes as well as on the ESPN website. You can stream from the ESPN site or download from iTunes and it is free. I would provide links but I am too lazy. I trust that anybody reading this has the interwob savvy to find it without too much difficulty.

So this Sunday I will be watching the finale to The Wire. All are invited to join me. I will be providing 40s of root beer and we will poor a little out for Omar prior to watching the episode. I am really going to miss hearing all the little ones spreading the word of Omar's arrival every time he walks down the street. "It's Omar yo!"

2 comments:

Tannertrue said...

Dude, I was going to call and see if you wanted to have a Wire finale gathering. However, I think that only a handful of people should come. I don't want a bunch of uninitiated girls there saying "Why do they swear so much? Marlo is mean. McNulty drinks a lot." thus ruining the emotion that this show carries.

The past two episodes have left me absolutely gob-smacked. I sat there with mouth hanging open slack. I can't wait.

lybberty said...

I started watching 2 summers ago when I was in Cambridge. Download limits stopped me from finishing Season 1.

So I bought my brother Season 1 for Christmas and we started the other day.

So far, so good.

I haven't gotten to the point to where it's my fav. show or even my fav. crime/police/whatever show--The Shield still takes the cake.