Monday, July 7, 2008

The Importance of Opinions

Kenneth Turan of the LA Times wrote and excellent piece today on what it means to be a film critic and the importance of staying true to your beliefs. Click here for the full article. This article found particular resonance with me because of a conversation I had yesterday with multiple friends regarding Wall-E. The essence of the conversation was that overall Wall-E was a great movie, however, the vast majority of the conversation revolved around finding fault with the animation, or internal consistency, or science fiction logic. As the conversation progressed I found myself questioning my initial opinion of the film. I had to keep reminding myself that I thoroughly enjoyed Wall-E and not to let subsequent criticism tarnish that experience. This article was a good reminder of the importance of trusting personal impressions and holding to one's opinion because it is in fact one's opinion. Turan said it best when he cited the following passage from Robert Warshow's The Immediate Experience:

"A man goes to the movies. The critic must me honest enough to admit that he is a man."

In culmination, I exhort you, the faithful reader, to not hesitate to form your own opinions regarding film, literature, art, and even sports. For they are in fact your opinions.

No comments: