Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mad Men

My second favorite television drama of all time returns in roughly two weeks. Strong words, I know. Yet true words. Mad Men is hands down my second favorite television drama of all time. The writing is superb. The acting is top notch. But it is the production design that stole my heart. Everything from the costumes to the TV sets playing actual clips from the era in the background is pitch perfect. If Mad Men was a video game, the production design would be a flawless victory.

As I mentioned before, the season two premiere is in roughly two weeks - July 27. The premiere will be available on-demand the following day. I will be waiting for the on-demand version because my lame-ass cable provider does not offer AMC in HD. However, Mad Men on-demand is available in HD. Therefore, I will wait the extra day to enjoy the beauty of HD.

To give you, the reader, a little taste of what you have been missing if you have not yet watched an episode, I am embedding a my favorite clip from season one which just so happens to be from the season finale. Here is the setup:

Don Draper - the shows flawed hero - has recently been promoted to partner at his Madison Avenue Ad Agency - Sterling Cooper. He has built his reputation on his creative genius and his other-worldly ability to sell the clients on the greatness of his ideas. The pitch from this scene is being made to Eastman Kodak who is looking for a way to sell their innovative slide projector "wheel." The idea that Don comes up with is nothing short of magical due to the emotions it evokes. The power of the scene is that much more impressive when you, the viewer, have the context of the previous 12.9 episodes. I try to keep this blag a spoiler-free zone so I will leave the set-up at that.



If you have not yet had the opportunity to experience Mad Men in it's full length episodic glory, do yourself a favor and watch a few. You will be hooked. I promise. Also, there are only 13 episodes in the first season so there is no need to feel overwhelmed by adding another series to your portfolio. Especially considering we are currently buried in the depths of TV hell that is the summer months.

PS Season two starts in two weeks. There is still time to get caught up. You can thank me later.

2 comments:

Tannertrue said...

Wait... second Favorite? I know Lost is at the number one spot for you... but, have you forgotten about The Wire so soon after is expiration?

dan said...

that clip is amazing