Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mack Dawg Productions

Many moons ago, prior to developing my extreme allergy for cold weather, snow, and especially the combination of cold weather and snow, I really enjoyed snowboarding. Some of my fondest memories from what now seems a lifetime ago revolve around boardsliding the half moon rail, hiking 9990 to access the sweet back-country bowl full of pristine powder, and weaving through the trees at Heavenly. I still remember the feeling of pure exhilaration from when I boardslid (is that even a word?) a rail for the first time. I can only hope seeing my firstborn whatever for the first time will be as exciting. I also remember breaking my foot and going to the health center for x-rays and discovering that my elbow had been fractured for two weeks. Which totally explained the swelling, discoloration, and general lack of movement. Ahhhh, those were the good old days. Days that were also filled with watching snowboarding movies and being completely blown away by the movies being made by Mack Dawg Productions. Stand & Deliver may have changed my life.

Back in the day Mack Dawg was putting out fantastic movies and literally blew the competition out of the water. The music was fantastic, the cinematography was top notch, and the talent was world class. Seriously, they were the best. As I mentioned earlier, I developed an extreme aversion to snow and retired from the snowboarding scene due to diverging interests and hobbies. As a result, I haven't seen a Mack Dawg film for quite a few years. Until Monday night when I saw We're People Too, the latest Mack Dawg effort.

Wow. I thought they were great a few years ago but now they are literally amazing. The production quality is ridiculous. The use of lighting, cranes, helicopters, tracking shots, and creative framing is simply breath taking. Mack Dawg really is the best. Plus they used what may be my favorite song from the last couple of years - In The Morning by the Junior Boys off their album So This is Goodbye. Seriously, this film was pure genius. The trailer below does not do it justice.

3 comments:

Carl Hardie said...

It's a shame you became an old man who can't handle the snow. Becca and I are headed to SLC for three days at Snowbird this weekend.

boxpilot said...

instead of going to the snow, morgan, we should enjoy this movie in warm southern california on a massive screen somewhere, with friends. maybe in hd.

. . . know anybody that's got one of those?

oh yeah. my roomate.

dope

sam said...

I thought I was over the snowboarding thing too until I frontside manueled a twenty foot kinked rail to freedom last weekend. Sure do miss the Canyons days.