Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gatsby Casting Ideas

So after spending the afternoon musing on pontenial cast members for the rumored Baz Luhrman Great Gatsby Project, I have come up with a few ideas. My initial idea without having seen a script or anything (which makes this whole post an exercise in putting the cart way before the horse) is to shoot for a cast with an age range of mid to late twenties. Although, I could also buy an adaptation where everybody is significantly older which would lend itself to such potential actors as Brad Pitt, Jude Law, Kate Beckinsale, Nicole Kidman and maybe even The Clooney. Essentially the usual suspects.

Like I said though, I am leaning more towards a younger cast and once again it was a little difficult for me to get away from the usual suspects. I tried to think a little outside the box and if I put in a little more time, I might be able to come up with a few more ideas. Here is what I have so far:

James Franco - Gatsby
James McAvoy - Nick
Ryan Gosling - I could see Gosling as either Nick or Gatsby
Lee Pace - Nick
January Jones - Daisy
Rachel McAdams - Daisy. Heck, why don't we just bring back the whole cast of The Notebook and have Gosling play Gatsby and have James Marsden play Tom. Marsden "wins" this time.

So that is what I have so far. I may add to this list over the next couple of days though if someone comes to mind. I really hope this movie gets made. And for all those Luhrman haters out there (you know who you are) I disagree with you. I think he can do an excellent job with this story and could give it a fresh and maybe slightly unconventional take ala Romeo + Juliet. As for Australia, I completely enjoyed the opulence of the spectacle.

2 comments:

Youngberg! said...

I love luhrman, but i hate the great gatsby! Maybe it was my teenage mind forced to read it in high school, but boy did i hate that book. Hopefully luhrman will make me care.
Just get the cast from gossip girl.

Or P-diddy. didn't he once say he was the modern age gatsby?

Lisa said...

I just started re-reading Gatsby, I figured reading the Cliff's Notes in high school just didn't do the book justice.

I think that Luhrman should go with a younger cast... I would see James Franco or Ryan Gosling in pretty much anything. I love that those guys have the talent to match their looks. As for Daisy, that could get tricky, maybe Kate Bosworth, or if they go older, I would love to see Charlize. All I know is I would rather watch Lauren Conrad attempt the role, than see Scarlett Johansson in something else.

Good post Morgan, I enjoyed playing casting director.