Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Dining Like Brad Pitt

It has recently been brought to my attention that I have developed a reputation of being a connoisseur of fine dining in the City of Angels. So in an effort to live up to this reputation I thought that over the next couple of weeks I would share a few of my favorite restaurants in the LA area. I will leave it up to the reader to determine whether or not my reputation is deserved. Disclaimer: I don't really like The Valley so recommendations will not make reference to any location in The Valley. My apologies to Satan and his minions.

Mastro's Steakhouse: The Beverly Hills steakhouse of choice for the former couple of Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. Before the oh so seductive Mrs. Smith showed up on the scene, Brad and Jennifer had permanent reservations for their favorite table. And it is easy to understand why. Every time I walk through the doors I feel like I might bump into Frank Sinatra or Sammy Davis Jr. When I have Eric Foreman-ish fantasies of being a member of the Rat Pack, I picture myself at Mastro's. The upstairs piano bar coupled with the dignified downstairs dining room provide the ultimate ambiance.

If I was being held captive by the Foreign Legion in Algeria I would request my last meal to be a bone-in-ribeye from Mastro's. I have eaten steak from many "high-end" steakhouses such as Outback.... that was a joke, I hope you laughed.... Morton's, Nick and Steph's, as well as Ruth's Chris and none of these even comes close. The flavor of the Mastro's steak is unbeatable. Plus it is served on a plate so hot that the steak is still cooking when it is served to you. One time, my plate even left a burn mark on the table cloth. Really, nothing else compares.

In addition to the bone-in-ribeye, I also recommend the crab-stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer and be sure to try the fresh-baked pretzel bread. If you are in a very decadent mood, I also recommend the lobster mashed potatoes. As far as desserts, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. However, the strawberry shortcake, is surprisingly good.

Finally, good luck spending less than $70-$80 per person. If you decide to visit my food Mecca, I recommend being prepared to comfortably spend a sizable amount to fully enjoy the Mastro's experience.


No comments: