Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Do fries come with that VoIP?


Gregg Easterbrook (AKA The TMQ or Tuesday Morning Douche depending on who you talk to) mentioned in his article for Page 2 at ESPN.com today the ridiculousness of the importance of hundredths of seconds in sports. The discussion then segued to an article in the New York Times from April 2006 that I found fascinating. It appears that McDonald's and a few other QSRs (quick service restaurants) have been testing out the use of call-centers to take drive-up window orders in an effort to maximize productivity of employees and improve customer service.


This idea appeals to me because I love specialization, innovation, leveraging technology, and capitalism. I would love to roll up to a Taco Bell window and be able to easily place my order without having to repeat myself or ask the person on the other end to repeat themselves because they were distracted by multi-tasking or because their language skills were not fantastic. This technology makes life easier for the people working at Taco Bell as well as the people ordering at Taco Bell. It is a win/win situation. I bow down to the greatness of specialization.

2 comments:

lybberty said...

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me the TMD wrote about an aspect of capitalism and market economies that he likes? This cannot be possible.

I'm glad you finally identified an economic principle--specialization--he thinks, you know, actually works.

Anonymous said...

How about giving us a list of your favorite movies? Maybe break it down into your favorite movies by genre and have it be an ongoing series.