Friday, January 19, 2007

The Everything Sucks Era Sucks

I have been reading articles on the world wide web by Bill Simmons since late 2000 or early 2001. I can't really remember the exact date because it seems like it has been forever. I used to love him and thought he was the funniest guy on the interweb. Recently I have grown tired of his gag but continue to read what he has to say. In his article today he makes a very good point about the climate in today's society. He said:

"Now we're on six years of football euphoria. And I get the part where the outside world is ready for another team, because that's the way our society works now: We embrace something new, digest it, beat it into the ground and move on to something else. One minute, "Borat" is the greatest comedy of all-time; the next minute, it's overrated. One minute, everyone loves "Lost"; the next minute, we're wondering if it jumped the shark. One minute, everyone loves The Killers; the next minute, they're self-important sellouts. It's the Everything Sucks Era. We spend an inordinate amount of time bitching about everyone else. Nobody's good, nobody's worthwhile and everybody needs to go away. That's the prevailing theme."

I'm tired of the Everything Sucks Era and I think the Everything Sucks Era is largely a product of the interweb. Why, I don't know. Maybe humanity sucks because it is inherently negative and now that the interweb provides a readily accessible medium for anybody to express their opinion we are getting a glimpse of the prevailing traits of human nature. I hope not because that sucks. I can't think of a single website, message board, or blog that I visit that is not dominated by this Everything Sucks attitude. Nobody is happy with anything... the government sucks... John Beck sucks... Kobe sucks... Lost sucks... The Sports Guy sucks... you disagree with my opinion so you suck... This has gotten really old, really fast. I think the Everything Sucks Era sucks. I know that this is quite hypocritical to post a "rant" about hating "rants." However, I just want to express that my goal for this blog is to not talk about how everything sucks. I am going to focus my efforts on things I like or find interesting. I hope I can stick to it and not take the easy way out and make a cheap joke at some body's expense when looking for content.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your rant about how the Everything Sucks Era Sucks, sucks.

boxpilot said...

you should look for content up your butt. . . oh wait - your but sucks!

hahahah. i'm the funniest man alive.

English said...

Remember when this blog used to be great?











p.s. Yer mom.