Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Miami Vice - Long Beach Style



Over the last couple of years I have become quite enamored with the sport of sailing. On October 31st my interest increased exponentially after cruising the Long Beach Harbor aboard a sleek Hunter 49. I was able to help trim the sails, navigate, and I even had the opportunity to pilot the ship. The feeling of the sun on my shoulders coupled with the breeze in my face was quite exhilarating yet surprisingly therapeutic at the same time. At the close of the day I was literally jumping up and down with excitement. I attended a Halloween party later that night and could not stop talking about my experience. I must have told 20 people about my harrowing adventures with the Old Man in the Sea and each time the story became a little more grandiose. I definitely had a little Captain in me at the end of the day.


As the days passed, the excitement wore off and the memories began to fade. After many conversations with my friend Dan I began to develop an interest seaworthy powerboats and yachts. I watched a few superyachts shows on the Travel Channel and the Discovery Channel and my interest continued to grow. How cool would it be to hang out on my plush powerboat? I could motor around the harbor or sit on the deck and sip fruity drinks with little umbrellas. I could even have a sweet 4th of July party and watch the fireworks from my the comfort of my yacht. Plus, I think it would be easier to maintain and maneuver the powerboat as opposed to the sailboat. Theoretically, I could spend more time relaxing on the powerboat than I could on a sailboat.

On Saturday I had the chance to repeat the cruise of the Long Beach Harbor but this time aboard a luxury powerboat with a top speed of 52 mph. It was pretty sweet making sweeping turns through the harbor at 50 mph and jumping the wakes of passing freighters. When I had the chance to pilot the boat I totally felt like Sonny Crocket cruising to Havana to enjoy a nice mojto except without the mojito and the annoying woman who doesn't speak english very well and almost ruins the movie.


So after having tried the powerboat and the sailboat I think I have to say that the sailboat was much more exciting and much more relaxing. I felt much more adventuresome piloting the sailboat and much more in touch with my inner primitive-man. The act of harnassing the elements was more fulfilling. Also, I realized that there is fundamentally nothing I can do on the powerboat that I can't do on the sailboat. Also, it doesn't require 80 gallons of fuel at $3.50 per gallon to cruise the harbor for 3 hours in the sailboat.

The decision has been made. When I purchase a yacht, it will be a yacht with a sail. However, this by no means that I will ever pass up an opportunity to cruise around or hang out on a powerboat. I simply prefer the sailboat to the powerboat. No hard feelings powerboat?

2 comments:

lybberty said...

I think we should refer to Sonny's girl as Horseface. Where was Lucy Liu when they cast that part?

Anonymous said...

Did you place all the big girls at the back of the boat for a reason? Helluva wake!