Tuesday, January 9, 2007

The iPhone Has Landed

It's a wide screen iPod. Wait, it's a cell phone. No, it's an internet communicator. No it's the iPhone and I want it. However, I must admit that I was quite disappointed when I read that it only has 8 gigs of storage. Come on. How can I have all 3 seasons of Arrested Development at my finger tips with only 8 gigs of storage? However, I still want it. And I am totally infatuated with the touchscreen functions and the widescreen viewing capabilities. Plus, it is by far the most aesthetically pleasing smart phone I have seen. If Apple is good at one thing it is design. Now I just have to find $599.

**Update**
The "Cover Flow" method of browsing your music library is sick. Watch the demo on the website to see what I am talking about. I think I may be in love.

**Update 2.0**
The iPhone has built in sensors that will automatically change the content of the display to landscape when you rotate it. Also, it will automatically turn off the display to conserve battery life when you raise the iPhone to your ear to talk. I no longer think I am in love. I know I am in love. My apologies to Kate Beckinsale, but she has just been replaced as the object of my desire.

1 comment:

Fernando said...

While I too am excited for some of the features that the iPhone will present, not all of them are new.

1) The screen that rotates based on orientation is old news. Canon digital cameras have been doing this for years as have tablet PCs.

2) Microsoft's Zune already has a widescreen (although, this isn't quite my preferred mp3 player and it's also not a mobile phone).

3) Apple doesn't have to rights to use the name iPhone. Kinda dumb to announce a product using a name that's not yours. And no, Cisco isn't being mean about the issue, the iPhone name has been trademarked for 10 years--long before the iPod ever came into existence.

4) The phone doesn't support the 3G network. Can you talked about backwards? It's Internet speed will be rather sluggish compared to other phones already on the market. Not to mention that Sprint's broadband network is much faster than Cingular's (soon to be phased out--AT&T is using its name instead).

Here's an interesting article about the future of music.

Bottom line: the iPhone looks great, has lots of new revolutionary features, but it probably won't change the way most of us communicate in the near future.