Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Day the World Stands Still

The NCAA men's basketball tournament, affectionately known as March Madness, officially kicked off Tuesday night with the play in game where Niagara defeated Florida A&M by a score of 77 to 69. Today is when the true "madness" begins and the nation's workforce grinds to a halt. Thanks in large part to the geniuses of the world wide wob that created the technology to stream the games live to your computer while at work. Has alt + tab ever been so convenient?

As I sit in the queue waiting to be logged on (I am currently 76,600 in line - so much for the VIP Pass. What a joke.) I couldn't help but reflect on the misspent days of my youth. I remember waking up each Thursday and Friday morning while in high school when there were games and telling my Mom that I wasn't going to go to school that day. With no questions asked, she would call the school and say I would not be coming in. I also remember skipping class in college to watch games. That was great fun until I decided to get serious about school and study accounting. Even that ended up with some good memories. I remember convincing Dr. Christensen to pause our advanced financial accounting class to watch the last five minutes of the BYU - UConn game on the projector because it was close. Luckily me and half the class had been monitoring the progress of the game on the ESPN gametracker.

Yes, those were the good old days. Luckily for me, today I can return to Neverland thanks to the miracles of modern technology. It is like somebody invented a time machine. Isn't capitalism great. Victoryyy!!!!

No comments: