Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ryan Gosling is a really good actor

Recently, I have been hooked on Ryan Gosling. This weekend I watched Half Nelson which was fantastic. Last night I watched Stay which was even better. I was a little wary going in to the film because of the beating it took on Rotten Tomatoes. Luckily for me I didn't actually read any of the reviews because I didn't want to be completely tainted by bias before forming my own opinion.

I don't want to ruin anything with spoilers because I think this movie is best enjoyed by not knowing what is going to happen. I spent the entire movie trying to figure out what was going on and then when it all came together in the last five minutes the emotional payoff was fantastic. In addition to the nice personal emotional payoff, I found the scene transitions/editing and the sets/production design to be mesmerizing. They really add depth to the story. The last couple of minutes were literally beautiful.

Finally, the performances by Ewan McGregor and Ryan Gosling were fantastic. Naomi Watts was also quite solid. So Ryan Gosling is 2 for 2 the last couple of days which makes me excited for the upcoming theatrical release of Fracture.

One last thing after thinking about the movie a little more. I think I might have an idea why lots of people didn't like this movie. I think it is because it does not follow the traditional format for a movie with a linear story line. This forces people outside their comfort zone and may or may not require the viewer to think about what is happening and be actively engaged in the movie to not get lost. In general, I think that people prefer to be mindlessly entertained. I don't want to get to far into this idea right now because it is a good topic for another post.


No comments: