Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mikey's the Big Winner

On Saturday night Mike, Andy, and I ventured out of the west side comfort zone for an evening in Hollywood. Much to Mike's chagrin, the designated travel route was a perilous one indeed. I mean who would think there would be traffic in LA on a Saturday night? Doesn't everybody just stay home and watch Deal or No Deal re-runs?

Upon arrival in Hollywood, we decided to dine at the world famous 101 Coffee Shop. And for you silver screen trivia nuts out there, yes, the 101 Coffee Shop is the diner made famous by the movie Swingers. Needless to say, quotable quotes were running through my mind the entire meal. Which, by the way, was delicious. I ordered my standard diner fare of french toast and it was FAN-tastic. Mike had the largest chicken sandwich I have ever seen. Andy had a turkey club or something. He said he liked it but it didn't look that hot to me. But that is neither here nor there.

In addition to the great food, the ambiance was perfect. I loved the dim lighting and the vinyl booths.



The stone covered wall with the recessed lighting was also a nice touch.


To cap off the meal I ordered the nut and honey shake. I was a little skeptical at first but Mike swore that it was one of the best shakes he has ever had. And I must admit, I was not disappointed. The consistency was flawless which means that I was able to easily drink though the straw without my cheeks getting sore. Also, who knew that vanilla ice cream, peanut butter, and honey would make such a great combo? Mike did.


So if you are ever looking for a good meal while in Hollywood, go to the 101 Coffee Shop. The price is reasonable, the food is excellent, and the ambiance is great. A word of warning, if you decide to go late at night, you will have to compete with the indie rocker crowd as they leave the clubs and finding a table may be difficult. Be sure to wear your indie rocker uniform and don't skimp on the buttons. More buttons equals higher rank in the club which equals preferential seating. Or at least that is what I have been told.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Turkey club was delish. Also, it's cafe 101, not the 101 coffee shop. Turd.