Wednesday, May 30, 2007

How often do you find the right person?

Dubious Brown recently posted the trailer for the Irish film Once as well as his opinion of the fantastic film and soundtrack. I would like to echo those sentiments and express my own as well.

I loved this movie. It sucked me right in from the start and I can't stop thinking about it. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me feel. That is all I ask for in a movie. Make me feel something meaningful. Mission accomplished. I think I might go watch it again tonight. That is how much I loved it.

When the movie ended and the credits began to roll, not a single person in the theater stood up to leave. Everyone remained in their seats until the music stopped and the lights of the theater came on. The music of the film was mesmerizing. I bought the soundtrack on iTunes today.

Once is a musical but not in the traditional musical/show tunes sense. It is more like multiple music videos with a story built around them. I know. This sounds a little odd. But the story is fantastic and the characters are so full of depth and emotion so this format totally works and does not feel disjointed at all. The story is essentially about guy and girl who meet and bond over music. Guy has an ex-girlfriend in London who he is struggling to forgive. Girl has a husband from whom she is separated. Guy and girl are perfect for each other and make amazing music together. The scene in the music store where they play together for the first time was magical. The scene where girl writes the lyrics to the music of one of guy's songs is perfect. I don't want to ruin the ending because it was so perfect so I won't say anymore about the story. I loved it and I will leave it at that.

I really can't stop thinking about this movie. It has me so excited. I have talked about it with everybody I have come in contact with today. I had a meeting with a couple of IT nerds from our national office in Cleveland and I think they think I am crazy. They couldn't understand why I was so excited about a movie. Well, it is because it spoke to me on so many different levels. Rarely does a movie do that for me. That is why I am so excited.

So yeah, watch Once if you can. It is amazing. Watch it in the theater if you can because it looks great on a big screen and is so much more powerful with good sound. If you can't see it in a theater, you can borrow it from me when it comes out on DVD because I will definitely own it. I will be pushing it like I push Lost. I want everybody to enjoy it as much as I did.

I know the trailer was already posted by Dubious Brown but here it is again:




PS I am infatuated with girl. She is so cute and adorable. Plus she makes me laugh.

PSS Check out the band The Frames. It is Glen Hansard's (guy) band and their music is great.

PSSS If you click on the Once link above or here, you can hear the song "Falling Slowly." It gives me chills every time I hear it. And it was even better with the visuals of the movie. So, so good.

4 comments:

matt said...

Top 10 Companies for Breastfeeding Moms

(August 2006) — Ernst & Young is the only Big Four firm to be included on the premiere list of the Top 10 Companies for Breastfeeding Moms, which appeared in the July/August 2006 issue of Working Mother magazine. In addition to a lactation program, we provide 24-hour-a-day access to lactation consultants for our firm’s women as well as hospital-grade pumps, which are also offered to the spouses and domestic partners of our employees.

matt said...

New Material Please!

lybberty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lybberty said...

Second Matt's call for new material. I thought the busy season was over?