Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Spider-Man 3 Review

Spider-Man 3. I fell asleep while watching. Really. I fell asleep. I'm not sure if I need to write more. I know it grossed $151M domestically over the weekend. I know it looked really good and the Sand-Man effects were awesome. I know that I loved the first two movies. None of that matters because I really did not like this movie. After thinking about it for a few days, I think I disliked it as much as I disliked X3.

My concerns regarding the story that I expressed here turned out to be true. Harry, Sand-Man, and Eddie Brock - Venom individually were very compelling stories but turned out to be woefully undeveloped. I would have loved to watch an entire movie about any one of these three characters but not all three at once.

I liked the redemption theme of the movie but I really didn't like the writing surrounding the idea. The dialogue surrounding one character's pivotal moment was absolutely terrible. I also hated how Peter and Mary Jane are to the point in their relationship where marriage is what they both want, yet they don't talk to each other. And don't even get me started on the whole "I'm going to replicate the famous upside down kiss in front of the woman I supposedly love enough to marry with some lame girl who is giving me the key to the city." I could go on about other stupid little things like a seemingly endless supply of masks that come out of nowhere to replace torn and/or lost masks but I don't want to be super negative.

So Spider-Man 3 pretty much sucked in my opinion. It had a lot of potential but ended up being a train wreck due to too many villains and a lack of overall vision regarding the story from the writing and directing point of view. I give it 2.4 out of 5 pieces of popcorn. You may want to watch it for yourself though because you might like it. Me, not so much.


***UPDATE***

I liked this rendition of Spider-Man better than the one I saw this weekend.



Once again, this is merely my own opinion. You might like Spider-Man 3. It is OK. We can still be friends.

1 comment:

Renegade of Funk said...

Thanks Morgan, I had forgotten how much I love snow patrol.