Thursday, May 24, 2007

Season Finales ***Spoiler Alert***

Over the last couple of weeks, 90%ish of my favorite shows aired their season finale. I though I would provide a quick summary of my take on these finales.

The Office - I loved it as usual. This show does not disappoint. I was dying when Dwight temporarily took over as Regional Manager and painted his office black for the intimidation factor. I'll be honest though, I was a little bugged when Jim chose Pam over Karen. I know that it was inevitable and needed to happen to keep Jim on the show but it still bothered me a little for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Scrubs - This finale kind of bugged me as well. I LOVED the episode from two weeks prior and felt that the finale kind of cheapened that episode. Once again, I realize that JD and Elliot are required to have drama to appease the "fans" and will probably end up together Rachel and Ross style but I don't like that idea. Since when is Friends the ideal archetype for a comedy with a little drama mixed in? I really like Keith and think that him and Elliot are great together. I also really like the idea of Elliot and JD not ending up together. It is not so cliche and carries more emotional weight. Perfect example is the episode from 2 weeks prior.

24 - Finally. I thought this season would never end. What a train wreck. I don't even know what else to say. The finale taking place on an off-shore oil rig was pretty cool visually I guess. But the writing and acting were TERRIBLE. I still remember the season where Jack has a heroin addiction and the finale ended with him breaking down alone in his truck. That was a hundred times more meaningful than the way this season ended. Did he jump? I don't know? But I do know he is still under contract for a couple of more seasons so my guess is no. I really hope they turn it around next season.

Heroes- I really like this show. I love super powers and I love the idea of heroes. The finale for Heroes was kind of anti-climactic though. The final confrontation with Sylar was pretty lame. Did Hiro freeze time to be able to stab Sylar or did Sylar let him charge from 20 feet away and not do anything? It didn't look like time was frozen. Lame. I also think that having Sylar crawl away like a cockroach to return next season was extremely lame even if he was a really good character. I did think the set-up for next season with Hiro in ancient Japan in the middle of Kensei taking on an army during an eclipse was pretty cool. I will keep watching.

Lost- I save the best for last. Lost has been the best show on TV for the last 3 years. Nothing even comes close. The finale last night once again proves this point. It completely blew my mind. I had heard that the finale would completely change the direction of the show and I was not disappointed. The reveal that the flashback that was the backbone of the show was actually a flash forward was A-Mazing. And future Kate is ridiculously good looking. I could get lost in her eyes for days. I loved that Hurley and Charlie ended up being the heroes even though I think Charlie did not need to sacrifice himself the way that he did. And what about Mikhail, is that guy immortal or what. He is like a little cockroach. I wonder where he gets his super powers from? Who is on the boat? How will next season play out? Will it start with them off the island? And give us flashbacks of how they got off? Or will it start with them on the island and give us flash forwards? So much can be done with the show. The possibilities are endless.

Where the heck did Walt come from? It was kind of funny seeing what real life puberty had done to him. It kind of puts the producers in a bind from a continuity perspective. I forgive them though. Jack is still my favorite character by far. I know a lot of people don't like him and his story but I do. Maybe because I feel the biggest emotional bond with him. What is up with the temple that the Others are trekking to? I think that it was Ben's funeral that future Jack went too. Did future Kate end up marrying Sawyer? Is that who will get mad if she is gone for too long? And finally, is Christian Sheppard not dead? Why did Jack tell the Head of Surgery to go get his father and bring him down for comparison? Was Jack just wacked out on Oxy or is he really not dead?

I know that last paragraph did not make that much sense. I just kind of wrote what ever popped into my head at the moment. No structure. My mind is still spinning 10 hours later, that is how good Lost is. If you haven't been hooked yet, go out and rent or by season 1 right now. It is so worth it. The pilot episode is arguably the greatest episode of any show in TV history. Last weeks "Greatest Hits" episode was phenomenal as well. A close second in my book. There is Lost and then there is every other TV show. For me, nothing else compares.

2 comments:

Renegade of Funk said...

The only part of your post I read was the Lost section since I haven't seen the other shows yet, but I think your stream of conciousness makes perfect sense.

I'm glad you really enjoyed the episode, I actually was angry with it because the producers promised to answer some questions in this episode that they actually never got around to.

I think Walt was actually the black cloud playing tricks on John.

I didn't catch the fact that Jack was referring to his dead father as if he were alive, good one.

I thought Charlie's death was weak too. At least try and get out the blown window, chh. But it was a good end for him.

lybberty said...

The reason you're bugged about The Office and Jim ending up with Pam is because she doesn't deserve him. When she was dating Roy she got what she wanted from Jim but gave nothing in return. Then he made his move, she kicked him to the curb, and he found out he could do better. Karen is hot.