Monday, July 30, 2007

Ryan Kessman - Future Star?

I recently received a request to post more sports related content. With fall practice kicking off shortly for the BYU Cougar football team, I thought that I would post the recruiting video for one of the incoming freshmen that I hope will make an immediate impact - Ryan Kessman.

I tried to embed the Google video but I couldn't get it to work for some reason and don't have the time to figure it out right now. So you will just have to click here for the link. My apologies.

After watching the video, my impression is that Kessman is super athletic and has the ability to make similar contributions to those of McKay Jacobsen last year. I loved Kessman's breakaway speed, especially on slants and punt returns, and his ability to change direction and make people miss. He made a few of the defenders looks as foolish as I did back in the good old days on The Helaman Fields. I believe this is commonly referred to as "good hip swivel." Which I don't have.

However, Kessman runs some of the sloppiest routes I have seen in a long time. My button hooks and out routes from my flag football warm-up and practice days at the BY were better then his lazy routes. This is probably a bi-product of being so much faster and more athletic then everybody else on the field. However, it is something that needs to be fixed and shouldn't be that hard to fix as long as he can focus and isn't dumber than a bag of hammers. If I can run crisp routes, even though I am slower than Saturday evening traffic on the PCH, then Kessman can surely do the same.

With that being said, I am pretty excited for the Ryan Kessman era. If his contribution level matches that of Jacobsen's last year, I will be very satisfied.

4 comments:

Dubious Brown said...

sports are gay. but your new graphic is cool.

matt said...

kid's a freak

lybberty said...

good stuff, morgan. given that we got Reed, Collie, and Allen as our only sure thing WRs, Kessman should have plenty of opportunities.

boxpilot said...

BOR-ing . . . oh, i'm sorry, i was talking about your face, not so much your post . . . what was that about?

motorcycles.