Sunday, July 1, 2007

My New Phone

After months and months of putting up with my static plagued Razr and the associated complaints from people on the other end of the calls, I finally got around to getting a new phone yesterday. My "excuse" for waiting so long was always "I am waiting for the iPhone. THEN I will get a new phone."

I was in love with the iPhone from the day it was officially announced. However, as the release approached, I convinced myself to wait until at least the second generation came out. I couldn't justify the $600 price tag for an 8 gig version. 8 gigs is just way too small. I was also bothered by the fact that it ran on the edge network as opposed to a 3g network. It felt a little inferior too me, even if 3g networks are not yet available in every city. What it came down to was that I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on something that would more than likely be significantly improved upon within the first 6 months to 1 year.

So prior to arriving at the store yesterday I had made up my mind that I was going to get the Samsung Blackjack to tide me over until the 2nd generation iPhone was released. The Blackjack has a cool commercial, all the features I want, and a wonderful price tag of $75. The iPhone could wait. Even if the scratch resistant screen was everything I had dreamed of and more.

So I walk into the store, circumventing the line of people camped outside waiting for the next shipment of iPhones to come in and go straight to the nearest sales rep, purposefully avoiding the iPhone display. I told him that I wanted the Blackjack and that was that. I could not be distracted. All was going as planned until the rep went into the mysterious back room to transfer the numbers from my crappy old Razr to my hot new Blackjack. Like a heroin addict to his needle, I was drawn to the iPhone display. I couldn't resist. I picked the demo up and was blown away by how slim it was. The aesthetics looked great in photos but in live action it was even better. I felt "cool" just being in its presence. As I played around with the different I was even more amazed. I loved the interface. I loved the touch screen. I loved everything about it. I watched a clip of Lost that was preloaded on the 16:9 display and shocked by how sharp the picture was.

To make a long story short, I had convinced myself to wait for the 2nd generation because of the aforementioned short comings. After touching the iPhone it was all I could do to stop myself from buying one right then and there. Luckily that was not physically possible at the time because the next shipment had not yet arrived. However, I was on the verge of beginning a city wide hunt for one though. The real live iPhone was so hot that the small storage space and slower connectivity didn't seem to matter as much anymore. I WILL have an iPhone. I have survived the initial temptation though and I think I can wait until the 2nd generation comes out. In the meantime my new Blackjack should get the job done.

3 comments:

boxpilot said...

stay strong little warrior.

oh, and the iphone looks gay anyways.

Renegade of Funk said...

Oh, and mike IS gay. I think I saw him in a Sprockets video grinding with Dieter.

boxpilot said...

andy, i thought we agreed that you wouldn't discuss your fantasies in private anymore.

fag.